Tests and Results
We usually receive test results from the lab within 3 days but before we can let you know the results they need to be looked at by a doctor. This can take a few more days depending on which days the doctor that ordered the test works.
Please telephone the surgery on 0300 790 6244 between 14:30 – 17:30 to obtain your test results.
If you have been asked to have a fasting blood test please avoid any food and drink (apart from water) from 11pm the night before.
If you have been asked to have a PSA blood test please make sure that you have NOT:
- got an active urinary infection (PSA may remain raised for many months)
- ejaculated in the previous 48 hours
- exercised vigorously in the previous 48 hours
- had a prostate biopsy in the previous 6 weeks
- had a rectal exmination within the previous week
If you have been asked to have a blood test to check your female hormones these are best checked on days 2-5 of your menstrual cycle (day 1 is the first day that you bleed). The only exception is a progesterone test used to investigate fertility which is done on day 21 (day 1 is the first day that you bleed).